Welcome to the Hong Kong Cleanup organised locally by Ecozine and The Nature Conservancy! Even though registration for the 15th annual Hong Kong Cleanup Challenge (from the third weekend of September to November 1st) will officially commence in June, please feel free to register your cleanup by e-mailing your cleanup date, approximate time frame, coastal, country park or city cleanup location and number of participants to email@example.com - we thank you!
We are dealing with a serious trash issue in Hong Kong, and the world. Did you know, for example, that in Hong Kong, every day, we throw away over 16,000 tonnes of trash – including an estimated 1,368,000 disposable plastic bottles, 1,000 tonnes of plastic bags and countless more tonnes of plastic wrapping and packaging. Our landfills are full, and we consume and throw away more than our city’s infrastructure and surrounding ecosystems can handle, jeopardizing wildlife, economies, and our own health and safety. It’s time we took responsibility for our actions.
In 2014, the Hong Kong Cleanup engaged 51,064 volunteers, collecting 3,894,000kg of trash over 1,847km of shorelines, country park trails and city streets!
You can make a difference, through action and awareness – why not consider signing up for the Hong Kong Cleanup Challenge?
There are three Challenges to choose from, and you can do as many as you like with your company, organization, or family:
1. City Cleanup Challenge: You do not have to go anywhere special to be part of the Challenge – just sign up and download the toolkit. Cleaning up in our offices, homes and schools will provide an eye-opening experience for many. See how much you can “slim your bin” with easy-to-follow tips and tools!
2. Country Cleanup Challenge: Detrimental amounts of litter and trash can be found in all of our country parks. Hiking trail and country park cleanups educate about littering and its effect on the natural world we all need and enjoy.
3. Coastal Cleanup Challenge: Beach cleanups bring awareness to the vast and vital issue of marine debris, especially disposable plastic. It is a fun, fulfilling day out for any size of group. Register soon – beaches are filling up!
The Hong Kong Cleanup is delighted to invite you to consider opportunities for sponsors, partners, media and NGOs with whom we can join hands for a better future. We need funding, marketing and coordinators to help spread the Cleanup Challenge far and wide. If you, your company, or someone you know might be interested in being part of this worhty initiative in one of these capacities, we would love to hear from you!
Signing up a team is simple, and kicks off in June every year. Here’s how it works:
1. Register your team cleanup online at HKcleanup.org – you choose when, where and what type of cleanup you will do
2. Attend a FREE education seminar where you will get the info and tools you need for a successful cleanup
3. Clean up!
4. Return your data at HKcleanup.org
All teams are automatically entered in the Cleanup Challenge for prizes and more!
Want to know more? We want to hear from you! Email us at: info@HKcleanup.org